Monday, June 3, 2013

Food or Plastic?

As I walked around the beautiful Sparks marina on an off day from the gym, I decided to sit a few minutes and watch all of the swimmers and sand volleyball players. I was in a long, striped, flowy, colorful dress that seemed to catch the attention of many. However, someone also caught my attention. As I approached the grass hill to sit down, I noticed a woman sitting alone. She was obese and wearing shorts and a tee shirt. She had the largest McDonald's soda you can buy sitting next to her. She was also eating something.

I saw her looking at me, and looked over to smile. She was feeding a couple of ducks that seemed to just be hanging out with her. Just then, her son and daughter probably no older then 7 and 9 came running over. They were also overweight. I sat back to observe the situation. The kids ran back into the water, and then I heard the lady talking. She wasn't talking to herself, she was talking to the ducks.

Suddenly, I heard "That's not food buddy! That's plastic!" 

What an interesting thing to say coming from someone eating and drinking McDonald's and the other "food-like substances" she had with her. Isn't that the way most Americans eat? Food that's no better for us then plastic? In fact, we store our food in plastics that researchers are finding to be potentially harmful because of ingredients like bisphenol A (BPA) So why then are people so concerned about what animals are eating, and calling them "stupid" , but yet with all the information available to us we continue to eat "food-like susbtances" with little to no nutritional value?




Let's start using the information available to us. If we KNOW that things are not good for us, why do we still do them? This is a hypothetical question, but I hope to really get people thinking about this. Look around you, listen, observe, and let's try to not only spread knowledge but INSPIRE PEOPLE TO IMPLEMENT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.

Information is the world's #1 largest commodity.

No comments:

Post a Comment