Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Challenge: Ourselves and Others

The truth of the matter is that we will all face challenges in our professional and personal lives. We must find strength and confidence within ourselves to face the challenges, and overcome them if we want to progress to the top!

This blog is inpsired by my recent challenges in my personal and professional life. I have been given challenges that I have had to work hard to overcome, and find the strength to endure! The strength has come through taking risks, putting myself in uncomfortable positions, and listening to the criticism of those around me. I have learned a lot and want to share my insight with those experiencing any challenges!

Last weekend, I went out of town to Sacramento, California for Les Mills BodyPump training. I left right after the work week, and checked in to my hotel to work some more. I traveled with an awesome co-worker who is also a long-term personal friend. Before I even left, I found myself feeling so overwhelmed that I found myself in a negative state of mind, stressed out and dreading spending the weekend with my male co-worker/friend in the same hotel room with no breathing space.  Afterall, we had only a week to memorize our choreography on top of already hectic and full schedules.

However, when I left on my road trip, I decided that I could only make the best of things and be open to new opportunity. As soon as I changed my attitude, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome! I remembered WHY I recommended my friend for the open position in my company - he's awesome! And, while I was critiqued all weekend, and physically exhausted after 8 hours of physical training increments, I found myself feeling alive and mentally refreshed! Although I did not have a single day of rest, and was being pushed to my limits (what I thought were my limits), I realized WHY I love what I`m doing! It's not really work to me! I walked away realizing that I would not grow without the criticism and support of those who are better and more experienced then I am. Although I am not where I want to be yet in my career, I am certainly on my way! If I can make it through and perform well now, where will I be when I acheive my next goal?!

This experience is one of many examples in which we all tend to put limits on ourselves, or end up shying away from opportunities that we find ourselves tired or uncomfortable in. You may feel ill prepared or just not confident enough in your abilities to perform. What are you afraid of?! You have worked so hard, and their is a reason why you're being given the opportunity you are!

Whether you feel that you're ready or not, you probably are more ready then you think. The key point to success is confidence! If you are not confident within yourself, then likely no one else will be either. At the training, they had a Zig Ziglar quote hanging on the mirrors of the Group Instruction room at the 24 Hour Fitness I was locked in for the weekend. It was this...




The significance is that no matter what position we find ourselves in, we are never alone! We surround ourselves by others who are better and more advanced then us so that we can be built up and challenged when we feel weak. This not only develops the confidence within us, but also the confidence in the decisions we've made when allowing people to play a special role in our lives.

No one who is successful has become successful alone! Each and every successful person has proven themselves successful in times of challenge and need. I encourage you to get out of your comfort zone and take the step of surrounding yourself with people better then you. You will undoubtedly gain confidence, have support, become more motivated, and most of all be accountable to put your motivated thoughts in to action!



Get challenged! Take action!


No comments:

Post a Comment